Aliens

Yes, I know, it's been awhile since I've posted anything. My apologies, as I am currently going through a divorce. Yes, despite my best efforts, my wife felt there was no salvaging our marriage and relationship of eight years. Despite selling my vast collection, despite seeking therapy, despite wanting to make things work, despite giving her time and space. She knew she no longer wanted to be married to me, but she selfishly waited to get through her best friend's wedding, (almost 20 days after she had made this critical decision), before she told me. I'll be honest, it's hard, and we have a ways to go until everything settles.
So for those of you contemplating divorce, consider everything that comes with it. Divorce is final. It's destructive, it decimates, it destroys, it hurts...no good comes from it. Honestly, when the dust settles, no one wins. So, yes, at this point, I don't consider myself the optimist. I'm leaning more towards a nihilistic view of things. The light at the end of the tunnel is so far off in the distance, I can't even see it.
Of course, first dealing with the separation, and the then hearing those four lovely words: "I want a divorce", which signals an even more depressing and lengthy path and passage of time, wears on you substantially. It crushes you in ways you never thought possible. Much like that time Linda Hamilton crushed the first T-800 in the hydraulic press at the end of "Terminator". Sorry, I should have lead with a spoiler alert.
So what's my point? My world is falling apart. All of it. I'm looking for something to tether me to the ground during this F5 tornado, much like Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt in "Twister", which is a great film, incidentally. This leads me into the title of this blog, Aliens. It is a 1986 sci-fi, action, horror film directed by pre-Titanic James Cameron. It's one of my favorite films of all time and still stands as one the best action films; with a strong female lead in Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley, 30 years prior to Charlize Theron's Imperia Furiosa in "Mad Max: Fury Road".
In 1991, my father lost his job at IBM after being employed there for over 25 years. Massive layoffs were happening all over the company and the Mid-Hudson Valley was hit pretty hard. My father, my mother, my brother and I were now faced with a horrible reality. I was young then, 10, and I understood the implications of what had happened. I could see the worry and despair on my father's face, and the weight and concern he felt for his family and our future.
One Tuesday, shortly after he was laid off, he took me to Jamesway, (throwback department store for you kids, Google it), and bought me a toy, an action figure, Corporal James Hicks, from the Aliens toy line. He bought it for me, because he didn't want me to think, and see, that the world around us was crumbling. He instilled in me the hope, and belief that eventually, everything would be ok. In time, things worked out for the better; my father found another job and we all moved on with our lives. But, those times were dark and uncertain. Much like what I'm currently experiencing.
So, I decided to find my tether, my beacon. I went on eBay and for $11, I purchased the exact same action figure my father had bought me 24 years earlier. It's a symbol of hope, a reminder to me that though the world around me is crumbling, eventually it will get better. It has to...

  
Corporal Dwayne Hicks by Kenner

Comments

Popular Posts