The Wolverine

Today's post is kinda of short, but I wanted to give a shout out to my favorite Canadian X-man, no, not Deadpool, (although the movie was hilarious and bad-ass, all while being a welcome change up from the onslaught, pun intended, of Marvel's world building films), I'm, of course, speaking of Wolverine. 

Yup, old man Logan himself. For me, this character, despite never really existing, has become a symbol of strength and resilience for me. Growing up, Wolverine or Logan, was my favorite comic book character. I collected most of his stand alone series and his collaborations with the X-Men or Spider-Man, or whomever he happened to cross paths with back in the 80's and 90's. Why? Simple. He's a great character. I mean, sure, he was cool looking, as he had adamantium bonded to his skeleton, an accelerated healing factor and retractable claws, so what kid wouldn't love him and be like "Oh cool"? But, despite all of those factors, he always felt real. He's a character who has experienced love and loss, succumbs to his anger and aggression from time to time, an on again, off again loner, and he still tries to do what's right, even if he fails. Now, I haven't really read most, if not all, of the contemporary Wolverine comics, and I recall hearing that he died. I call bullshit. Wolverine can't die. I mean, he's Wolverine, bub. Oh well, I guess that is just the very old man/comic book fan in me; waiving his fist at the metaphorical children, while yelling things like: "Get off my lawn you little bastards!", and "Back in my day, there was no Marvel cinematic universe, dammit! We had Dolph Lundgren as The Punisher. And we were happy to have him!"


Sidenote 1: To any comic fans who might read this blog, I'm aware of the fact that Deadpool was never part of the X-men.

Sidenote 2: We also had a 1990's Captain America film. It was...eh...how do I say this? Not good. So yes, I do appreciate the abundance of comic films today, though I do believe the market is currently over-saturated; and heading towards an eventual apocalyptic, pun intended, bubble burst. But, that's just my opinion. I mean, what do I know? I like pineapple and ham on my pizza, and a thumb up my ass. Kidding, kidding. I meant a pinky. Sweet and salty. Giddy up.

Comments

Popular Posts